Public minutes of 115th SB meeting on July 12th, 2019
Present: Alberto Ribon, Susanna Guatelli, Dennis Wright, Mihali Novak, Gabriele Cosmo, Vladimir Ivantchenko, Ben Morgan, Soon Yung Jun, Daren Sawkey, Laurent Garnier, Makoto Asai, Koichi Murakamii, Alexander Howard, Sebastien Incerti, Ivana Hrivnacova
Excused: Hisaya Kurashige, Marc Verderi, Luciano Pandola, Gunter Folger, Witold Pokorski
1. Regular items
- The open requirements, pending actions, status of long open bug reports, as well as physics and computing performance monitoring are reviewed.
- Memory issues identified in May development release, due to developments in the magnetic field stepper and navigator, are now fixed. 10.6-beta performance is comparable to April development release. Current master has been tested recently, it is confirmed that the introduction of interpolation in field transport works with no visible penalty, identified however a 3-4% CPU degradation independent of this, the source is to be confirmed and investigated in the next development release (to be tagged mid-July).
2. Merging EM-standard and Low-E EM working groups
- Proposal of merging EM-standard and Low-E EM working groups into a single WG was discussed and agreed.
- Vladimir Ivantchenko will act as the interim chair of the new EM
working group, while three deputies for Optical (Daren), Low Energy
(Luciano), DNA (Sebastien) will act as sub-category coordinators.
- Regular election in 2020 is foreseen along with other WGs.
- EM working group web pages will be merged as well.
3. Git migration status
- MR documenting inspection by category coordinators
- Documents have been updated in MR #186 (now merged)
- Pull requests on GitHub from users
- GitHub CODEOWNERS file is now in place, so WG coordinators should be notified by email when a PR on GitHub gets open on their code.
- Documentation/Tools update to “port” GitHub PR to GitLab MR is in progress
4. Status of replacing HyperNews system
- Migration was successful. Acknowledged good support from SLAC/CERN IT.
- Agreed on splitting User Applications out of current mixed category, as inherently different from Requirements.
5. 2019 Collaboration meeting
- Session agenda
- Proposed session agenda was endorsed.
- Session chairs will be emailed in next few days.
- Registration and site access authorization Registration is now open,
as it is for accommodation.
- Site access authorization is completely separate from registration.
- Have to select “Visitor” in online site access authorization form.
6. First collaborative activities with the OpenGATE Collaboration
- Two collaborative activities with the OpenGATE Collaboration were
- The validation activities of the OpenGATE Collaboration will be advertised on the Geant4 G4MSBG Twiki Web page (https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/Geant4/G4MSBG). This will allow Geant4 users to benefit from additional results on the performance of GATE/Geant4 on specific application domains, such as nuclear medicine (imaging and dosimetry), helping notably for the evaluation of Geant4 physics lists performance in those areas.
- The integration in Geant-VAL of two nuclear medicine applications (e.g. SPECT, PET) that will produce selected plots for the monitoring of Geant4 performance.
- Proposal was acknowledged and accepted.
7.1 Recent events
- ENSAR2 workshop: Geant4 in nuclear
physics, at CIEMAT,
Madrid (Spain), 24-26 April 2019
- New users and applications, potential ways forward for maintenance of ParticleHP identified.
- Geant4 Visualisation and User Interface
(UK), 6-9 June 2019
- Good discussions and outcomes on different topics. Prioritised work to do.
- International Conference on Monte Carlo Techniques for Medical
Applications (MCMA 2019), June 19th-21st,
- G4MSBG activity presented.
- Geant4 tutorial in
Orsay, 13-17 May 2019
- The tutorial was supported by The Doctoral School PHENIICS, Universite Paris-Saclay.
- 25 participants (6 PHENIICS PhD students, 19 external participants)
- Geant4-INFN School in Alghero. Geant4 Course at the 16th
Seminar on Software for Nuclear, Sub-nuclear and Applied
Porto Conte, Alghero (Italy), 26-31 May 2019.
- 5-day course, but only afternoons, about 35 participants
- Geant4 Tutorial for applications in medical physics, MCMA,
Montreal, Canada, June 2019.
- About 15 people (2x 0.5 day courses).
- VII International Geant4
School, Krakow (Poland),
1-5 July 2019.
- 5-day course, 43 participants (maximum was set to 50)
- Geant4/Geant4-DNA tutorial,
Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia), 3-5 July 2019.
- 3-days course, 15 students
- Geant4 tutorial in Orsay, 13-17 May 2019
7.2 Near future events
- 2019 Collaboration
Jefferson Lab, VA, USA, 23-27 September 2019
- Associated Technical Forum on September 24th 16:00-18:00 US East Coast time, which will highlight EIC (Electron Ion Collider)
- 14th Geant4 Space Users
Workshop, Korinthia (Greece),
20-23 October 2019
- Registration will be opened in next few days
- IEEE NSS/MIC, Manchester (UK), 28
October - 1 November 2019
- No abstracts submitted so far
- Calorimetry for High Energy Frontier
(CHEF), Hakata, Fukuoka,
Japan, November 25-29, 2019.
- Abstract submission deadline : September 15
- Geant4 Japanese Tutorial for Medicine 2019, Tsukuba, Japan, 8-9 August 2019
- Geant4 Japanese Tutorial for Detector Simulation 2019, Kyoto University, Japan, 5-7 November 2019
- VIII International Geant4 School, Belgrade, Serbia, 17th-22nd November 2019
- Geant4 School (beginners and advanced users) and Monte Carlo workshop for medical physics, University of Wollongong, 2-8 December 2019
Friday, July 12, 2019 - 12:00